Coaching is an imperative for the success of an individual as well as for the firm, partnership and company. It brings out the best in people, sharpens and perfects their already acquired skills as individuals, in teams and ultimately in the whole organisation.
Coaching has a great contribution to make to the progress of an organisation and the individuals in it, for specific effort and purposes that bring out the best in the individual for the achievement of significant strategic goals.
Coaching can assist in the growth and development of individual professionals and of the leaders for tomorrow. It assists in enhancing productivity, improves job satisfaction and job longevity. With emotional wellbeing, awareness of emotions and enhanced ability to deal with them, coaching makes the difference between career stagnation and success and achievement. Emotional balance and positive emotions are directly related to the ability to be productive, resourceful and effective.
Coaching stimulates effective individuality by allowing people to see for themselves the best approach to solving problems, whilst at the same time improving the interaction between employer and employee and their clients, equipping the trained individual with personal motivation and team working skills, and ultimately creating significant personal development.
Humans clearly need both conscious and non-conscious thought processes but it is likely that neither is intrinsically ‘better’ than the other. Coaching helps people to switch from one mode of thinking to another and to understand how they can use these switching mechanisms to harness their unconscious and intuitive skills in their conscious decision making.
The higher up an individual is in the corporate structure the less they actually physically do and the more they expend time in creating and holding in their mind the concept and objectives of the organisation. Empowering the mind is the biggest gift of coaching. Teaching a person how to grow independently, and for themselves, is a wonderful gift that enhances both the individual and the organisation, and that is why we call our corporate programme Elements for Excellence.
To create lasting performance change it is necessary to first understand the positive and negative influence that a person’s personal behaviours has on their execution and what impact these have on their ability to achieve success. Only when we fully understand a person’s behavioural patterns and create positive self-managing coaching strategies can we assist a person to create lasting performance change.
The vast majority of employers believe coaching can deliver significant benefits to both individuals and organizations. The majority of employers plan to increase the use of coaching over the next few years, according to a new survey by the Institute of Personnel and Development. Nearly nine out of ten interviewed companies expect their managers and supervisors to deliver performance coaching as part of their day-to-day work.
In another large industry-wide study it was found that most managers reported that they were confident in their ability to coach. However, the study also showed that the managers’ actual skills levels as coaches were typically poor. As a consequence they were not nearly as effective in their coaching as they believe themselves to be. Often times, they believed that coaching consisted of just providing 1-to-1 instructional feedback to their staff members on what to do in a given situation to perform better.
Many recent studies have shown that technical skills only represent at best 20% of the contribution to our performance. The remaining 80% comes from our ability to choose or make a decision, assertiveness, commitment to grow, ability to concentrate, honesty, optimism, persistence, ability to perform well under stress and so on. These traits are commonly called our soft skills or attitude. Few managers understand just how deeply rooted their own behaviour patterns are, let alone how to positively change them in other people.
Life coaching is non-directive coaching and it equips the attendees with the insights and skills to know themselves and how to create desired change in their work place. Coaching gives a range of skills, techniques and insights that the attendee takes back into the workplace, and draws upon for higher attainment with both clients and colleagues.
Coaching in the workplace has developed immensely from what it was only 4 years ago. Choosing the right coach will make a huge difference. If you know what you want, with a coach who knows what he is doing – you can be on your way to get it!
The quickest way to get it is with our programme Elements for Excellence. This programme equips delegates with the skills needed for success. It literally unlocks your potential.